However, I recently had a burst of energy, so I have some random things to share.
1. I turned 32 last Monday! I celebrated by having dinner with my mom and husband at my favorite local Italian restaurant, La Casa Pasta. Of course, my appetite is very unpredictable, so I wasn't even able to finish a half portion of my favorite entree, the lobster ravioli. Yes, that's right. I was only able to eat one out of three ravioli. At least the leftovers made a tasty lunch the following day.
2. We bought a new dishwasher on my birthday, too. Our 6-year-old LG dishwasher bit the dust, so we replaced it with an affordable and well-rated Whirlpool. While the LG was very pretty and super quiet, it ended up being a hot mess, so I don't recommend that brand. We've had the Whirlpool for two days and while it's a bit louder (but not loud by any means) our dishes are much cleaner and drier than with the old LG. Wondering why we needed a dishwasher after just 6 years? We're heavy users. Sometimes we run two cycles per day.
3. Speaking of appliances, lemon furniture polish (like good old fashioned Pledge) is an excellent cleaner/protector for stainless steel. I learned this from a salesperson at Lowe's and would you believe that an old school furniture polish works better than special stainless steel cleaners? Plus, it's cheaper.
4. Grilled asparagus is pretty great. Asparagus is in season right now. I normally roast it in the oven, but last night we fired up the grill and I just placed it right on the grates. All you need to do is trim your asparagus, toss it in some olive oil, add salt and pepper to taste and grill it for 5-7 minutes. Even my husband, who is pretty neutral about asparagus, liked it.
5. Whole Foods is a great place to blow your paycheck. I haven't cooked in weeks, but I had the day off for Good Friday, so mom and I went to the new Whole
So now that I have some energy I'm trying to ease back into cooking, baking and blogging... if I can stay awake. Thanks for being patient with me. If you miss me, you can check me out on Instagram (if you're an iPhone or Android user). My user name is keeleypowell. I'm also @keeleypowell on Twitter. And there's always the Facebook page for My Life on a Plate: facebook.com/mylifeonaplate
What have you been up to? Have you discovered any new cleaning tricks or life-changing foods (hello black sea salt!)?